• LAKE LAGDO
Lagdo Reservoir is a lake located in the Northern Region of Cameroon. The lake covers an area of about 586 km². It is located at 8°53′N 13°58′E. The Lagdo dam was built between 1977 and 1982 by a combination of engineers and Chinese workers, along with Cameroonian laborers. The company that managed the construction was the China International Water & Electric Corp. Today, the international power company ENEO runs the hydroelectric dam. The dam is located about 50 km south of the city of Garoua on the Benue River. Its construction was intended to supply electricity to the northern part of the country and allow the irrigation of 15 000 hectares of crops downstream.
The dam is 308 m long, 40 m in heig ht and 9 m thick. The dam is located within the Arrondissement de Lagdo in the Dé partement de la Benoué in the North Region. In 2012, Water Released from the dam looded areas around the dam including Adamawa State in Nigeria, the looding resulted in over 10 deaths and loss of properties worth thousands of dollars. A bigger eﬀect of the looding however was at the lower Benue river region where more than 10,000 homes were submerged for more than two weeks. This left more than 10,000 hecters of farm land looded and the streets of makurdi town occupied by crocodies amongst other dangerous creeping creatures. This was not the irst time of such an occurrence.
• MANDARA MOUNTAINS
The Mandara Mountains are a volcanic mountain range on the border between Cameroon and Nigeria. Their highest point is Mount Oupay (1,494 m). The British Dixon Denham in 1822, and the German Hans Dominik in 1902, are part of the irst explorers of the Mandara Mountains. The Mandara Mountains are populated by a large number of ethnic groups divided on each of the mountains and usually spot a dozen thousands. Their languages
belong to the Chadic group of Nilo-Saharan family. Mafa, the Mofou, Mada, the Ouldeme the Kapsiki the Pelasla the Podokwo and Vamé are the main ethnic groups of the Mandara Mountains.
• THE RUPESTRAL ENGRAVINGS OF BIDZAR
The Bidzar petroglyphs are located near Bidzar village, on the Maroua-Garoua road toward Guider. An area of marble lagstone extending around the village circa 2.5 km from north to south, and one kilometer from east to west displays around 500 engraved igures in total. The marble is of a calcareous type called cipolin; it has an ideal composition for engraving, having low resistance to friction and breaking easily. Figures were engraved into the marble using a hammer and an engraving tool. The igures are mostly geometrical, consisting of groups of circles, some isolated and some in groups. It has been speculated that the engraving represent concepts or stories from myths, or elaborate a cosmogony.
The age of the engravings has proven dificult to determine. Radiometric dating has produced a range of estimates, dating various carvings to between 300 and 3000 years of age. The petroglyph site was discovered in 1933 by a French researcher named Buisson. In the twentieth and twenty irst centuries, the calcareous marble on which the engravings stand has been extracted for use at nearby cement and marble factories. This activity endangers the engravings, which received provisional protection when the site was included in the Cultural category of the UNESCO.